The biggest reason I like this book is that it appears to be a challenge for me. I have started no less than three patterns (the above being said 3rd) and have run into...em...shall I say...difficulties...with each one (except this one....so far...) and although it is a little frustrating, I also find it fun searching for answers to my 'howdeedoodat' questions, and rewarding to learn new techniques...for example, I learned how to do a double long-tail cast on thanks to Knitting Help, and then I figured out how to make that cast on in rib, thanks to the back of this very book, and then I gave up knitting that pattern (for the time being) because I kept screwing up the chart, which I have also never used before...ahhh, so much to learn, so many puzzling looks from Cee as he watches me start multiple patterns and frog them over and over.
Here's a closer look at the cuff, just because I know you want to see....or not...anyway here it is:
The biggest reason I like this pattern so far (aside from the fact that I can actually follow it) is that it only uses 4 dpns....most of them call for 5, and well, anyone who has read my blog (hey, it could happen!) knows that I have this 'thing' about sets of 4 and 5 dpns, and how I can only ever find 4's when I need 5's...
Wiki Wiki Fun
So I was surfing aroung the blogisphere the other day, and I came upon a meme that I thought was pretty fun and interesting, and so I swiped it without being tagged, just 'cause I felt like it.
It's the Wikimeme, and basically what you do is head on over to Wikipedia and type in your birthday, month and day only and then you list 3 events, 2 births, and 1 holiday for that day.
Here is what I came up with, for January 14th:
1. 1690 -- The Clarinet is invented in Nuremburg, Germany.
2. 1954 -- Marilyn Monroe weds Joe DiMaggio.
3. 1978 -- Johnny Rotten quits the Sex Pistols after the final show on their American tour at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco.
1. 1741 -- Benedict Arnold, General notorious for treason
2. 1968 -- LL Cool J, Rapper & Actor (same day and year as yours truly!)
3. 1969 -- Jason Bateman, Actor (star of one of my fave shows, Arrested Development--I still curse Fox for taking it off the air)
New Year's Day in Eastern Orthodoxy--makes sense, since the 7th is Christmas
I won't tag anyone, but feel free to head on over to Wikipedia and glean some superfluous knowledge about the day you were born.